Fantastic Film Forum
Day 1 – Tuesday, October 29th, 2019 – 10:00 / 18:00
Mediateca La Cappella Underground – via Roma 19, Trieste
From film concept to distribution: a journey through development strategies, financing and audience engagement
The workshop will be an intensive practical laboratory focusing on film development and distribution strategies for the international market: how to develop strategies to obtain financing, how to strengthen projects by working on weaker aspects and further developing strongpoints, how to engage the audience and how to take advantage of the opportunities of new digital media for theatre distribution.
Tutor: Claudia Tosi – director and producer, Movimenta.
Limited enrolment; 15 participants maximum.
Fees: 100€ (50€ for Sci-Fi PRO 2019 badge holders)
- 10:00 – 13:00: Development and financing strategies basics; case study of the film The Perfect Circle
- 13:00 – 14:00: Lunch break
- 14:00 – 18:00: Practice exercises. SWOT analysis on some of the projects by the participants, aimed at identifying strongpoints and weaknesses and developing effective development and distribution strategies. Informal pitching with general discussion to identify critical aspects, exchange ideas and suggest improvements.
- B2B strategies (Business to Business): project development and meetings with Decision Makers.
- B2C strategies (Business to Consumer): how to identify and reach the end user.
- The international market and its opportunities: festivals, training programmes, pitching forums.
- Digital tools for audience engagement: social media & mailing list.
- Do-it-yourself or traditional distribution?
- Having a deep knowledge of your project and how to present it.
- Pitching forums, international co-productions and the international TV market.
The presence of a project at any phase of development is strongly advised (but not obligatory); all kind of projects will be accepted, regardless of genre and format (feature films, short films, documentaries, etc.), provided that they are of audiovisual character. The participants without a project will be associated to others during the creation of the working groups.
Those who wish to present a project must send the finance plan and a document of max 2 pages (in Italian or English) listing:
- Synopsis (max 15 lines)
- Max 15 lines explaining the project’s intent (max 15 lines)
- Historic contextualization (optional; max 10 lines)
- Additional notes (optional)
These must be sent by Thursday, October 17th to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Claudia Tosi was born in Modena in 1970. She studied at the University of Bologna as a Philosophy major. Since 1998 she has been working in TV programmes and advertising; in 2003 she starts working as a director and producer of documentary films. In 2004 she founded her own production company, Movimenta, which promotes and internationally co-produces documentaries. Claudia attended EAVE training in 2011, EURODOC in 2012, IDFA Summer LAB in 2014, Berlinale Talents (Doc Station) in 2015 and EWA Multiple Revenue Stream Training Program in 2016.
Among her projects: I Had a Dream (Ita/Fra, 2018 – 55’ and 80’), winner of the Golden Dove in DokLeipzig 2018; The Perfect Circle (Ita/Slo/NL/UK, 2015 – 55’ and 75’); Mostar United (Ita/Slo, 2009 – 55’ and 75’); Building the Winter Games (Ita, 2007 – 3×46’); Private fragments of Bosnia (Ita, 2004 – 52’).
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
You may register to one only or both workshops on the Trieste Science+Fiction Festival official page on Eventival. Sci-Fi Pro badge holders exclusively access to the two Fantastic Film Forum workshops will be 50% off