The nineteenth edition of Trieste Science+Fiction Festival – organized and promoted by the Film and audio-visual research and experimentation Centre La Cappella Underground – will take place from October 29th to November 3rd, 2019.
Submissions are now open for films wishing to be selected for the competition sections, the deadline being July 31st, 2019. Guidelines and instructions for submission to the 2019 edition are available here.
Trieste Science+Fiction Festival showcases the following competitive sections:
• Asteroid Award – competition for best international science-fiction and fantasy feature-length film; • Méliès d’argent Award – competition for best European feature-length and short film from the fantastic genre;
and the following non-competitive sections:
• Spazio Italia – selection of Italian productions from the fantastic genre;
• Fantastic Shorts – selection of international short films from the fantastic genre;
• Futurologia – selection of international science(-fiction) documentaries;
• Sci-fi Educational – selection of international works from the fantastic genre targeted at a younger audience;
• premieres and special events;
• retrospectives and special programs.
Trieste Science+Fiction Festival is the most important film festival in Italy exploring the worlds of science-fiction and the fantastic genre. Cinema, television, new media, literature, comics, music, performative and visual arts are the tools to explore the wonders of possibility.
Trieste Science+Fiction Festival is a member of the European Fantastic Film Festivals Federation, together with Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival, Imagine Film Festival, Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival, MOTELX – Lisbon International Horror Film Festival, Strasbourg European Fantastic Film Festival, Lund International Fantastic Film Festival and Sitges – Festival Internacional de Cinema de Catalunya.
Founded in Trieste in the year 2000, Trieste Science+Fiction Festival has picked up the heritage of the historic Trieste International Science-fiction Film Festival which took place from 1963 to 1982 and was the first genre film festival in Italy and one of the first ones in Europe.
Trieste Science+Fiction Festival is a member of AFIC – Italian Film Festivals Association.